Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Summer Break is here

Dear fellow laborers with Christ,

Your labor in prayer support has been felt!  We have had some interesting times during some “Unrest” here in Papua.  Many people put out an urgent request for prayer so that things would not escalate.  These prayers were answered in a mighty way!  All seems quiet right now and we are grateful! 

We and all the “Expats” here are safe!  I do feel the need to remind, or tell for the first time whichever the case may be, that we and MAF are in a neutral position here!  Any public references to MAF or Hillcrest (HIS) in regards to unrest over here could be misunderstood by any number of people.  We ask for your understanding about why we cannot share more details and foryour caution when sharing the prayer requests of many missionaries serving God around the world.    

The decision has been made that we will indeed stay here for another year!  The needs here are great and we feel a huge burden to carry on what God has put before us!  I am excited for my fall assignment in the fourth grade!  I worked closely with the 3rd graders this last year in computer, art, and many of them are in the ESL program.  There was a collective sigh of relief by the parents when it was announced that the fourth grade has a teacher for the fall.  Some of you have asked what we might need that will fit in an envelope.  I could use some “Ticky Tack”.  It is the only thing that will hold “stuff” on the cement walls here.  Stickers, Pencils, Small Prizes, Note cards, Name plates for student desks, anything like that would be a help!  Ok maybe a large envelope.  On a personal level I miss some of the teas from home.  Specifically the Ginger Bread Spice, or the Sugar Plum Spice flavors and “Constant Comment” are some of my favorites!  Lose the box and just put someof the bags in an envelope.

Miles is in Wamena.  He is doing inspections on 2 206s there.  He was home for the weekend and we went to a very nice restaurant on Sentani Lake to celebrate Father’s day.  God has blessed our children and me with such a good man!  Many “Expats” have gone home for furlough this summer.  The MAF base is over half empty!  With Miles gone sometimes it is pretty lonely and quiet around here.  Thank God He is my constant companion. 

 

Dion and Lea at Yogwa

(restraunt on the lake)

                           Miles at Yogwa





On Memorial Day we went to a beach very close to  the border of Papua New Guinea.  It is called Base G.  Many areas around here have kept the name given them by the armed forces in WWI & WWII.  Both Japanese and American forces have occupied this island.   It was a very lovely beach.  We didn't have to ride a boat to get to the beach so we just went alone. To get to the other beach we went to, we have to get a crowd to share the cost of the boat.   




     
Our June border Lea has been here for 2 weeks now.  Before she moved in we asked her for a confession of faith.  She is Catholic but when I asked, “ what Is your relationship with Jesus Christ?”  she replied, “He is my Lord and savior, and without Him I cannot do anything”.  We pray that this truth is deep in her heart and that we will have many discussions that will be enlightening to all of us.  She is such a help both in the kitchen and in our using Indonesian in our everyday speaking.  She and I will go to visit Miles in Wamena next weekend the 23rd.  She has never been outside of the Jayapura / Sentani area.  She is very excited to go and visit another area of her country. 

I finally am over my second bout of malaria.  This one took 3 rounds of medication to eradicate!  I am taking as many precautions as I can to limit the number of mosquito bites I get.   I have always been a target for them.   I am so grateful for my general good health as I dread to think of how I would have fared otherwise.  There are no Malaria mosquitos in Wamena!  In July we will go to an area just outside of Wamena called Pyramid for our MAF family camp.  I am grateful that I won’t have to worry about malaria there,

Our tutor is coming over every morning from 9-12 except Wednesdays when I have a group of ladies over for a Bible Study.  By the end of 3hours I feel like my brain will explode!  After lunch Lea comes home and we go to the local pool to cool off and to participate in Water Aerobics classes.  This summer schedule is working well.  I squeeze in some time at school to do an “end of year” inventory of the ESL room, and to start getting familiar with the 4th grade curriculum. 



Prayer Requests Corner

For Settling the unrest in Papua

For Lea to see Christ here and to feel His love every day

For Deeper more rich times in God’s word daily

For Boldness to speak in Indonesian when in public like at the market

For Boldness to speak of Christ as our language skills improve

For Continued good health

No comments:

Post a Comment